|Portrayed by:||Dane DeHaan|
|First appeared:||The Amazing Spider-Man 2|
- "You don't give people hope, you take it away! Now I'm gonna take away yours!"
- ―Harry to Peter as The Green Goblin[src]
Green Goblin (Harry Osborn) is the secondary antagonist of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. He is a fictional character in the Marvel Comics Universe created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1965. He is portrayed by Dane DeHaan.
Harry Osborn is the son of the wealthy industrial scientist Norman Osborn, the founder of Oscorp Industries, and carrier of a fatal illness. Harry is also an old friend of Peter Parker. Around the time of Peter's parents disappearance, Harry was sent to a boarding school by his father. He returns to New York and meets with Peter for the first time since then at the time Peter graduated from High School.
Harry returns to New York to see his father Norman, the C.E.O. of Oscorp Industries. Norman explains his illness is hereditary, and Harry is at the age where it first develops. Before he dies, he gives Harry a small device which he claims contains his life's work. The next day, Norman dies and Harry is appointed the new C.E.O. of Oscorp, only to become disruptive to Norman's assistant Donald Menken and the Oscorp board, causing them to plan on deposing him.
The first symptoms of Harry's illness show, and he uses the device Norman gave him to deduce that Spider-Man's blood could help save him. He asks Peter, who has been sending photos of Spider-Man to The Daily Bugle, for help finding Spider-Man. Peter appearing to him as Spider-Man refuses, unsure of what effects the transfusion would have. This only further drives Harry into depression and frustration. Harry's assistant Felicia Hardy informs him of equipment that could help him. When attempting to access it the Oscorp board members frame Harry for covering up employee Max Dillon's accident, and remove him from his position as C.E.O.. Harry infiltrates Ravencroft and makes a deal with Max (now calling himself "Electro") to get him back in to the Oscorp building. Inside, he finds a suit of armor and other equipment made by Norman, as well as venom from the now destroyed spiders, which instead causes him to transform into a hideous goblin-like creature.
Later, the transformed Harry arrives equipped with Norman's armor and weaponry; upon seeing Gwen, Harry quickly deduces Spider-Man's true identity and, wanting revenge for being refused the blood transfusion, kidnaps Gwen Stacy. He fights Spider-Man at the top of a clock tower, and while Spider-Man manages to subdue Harry, Gwen falls to her death.
Five months later, Harry has been imprisoned in Ravencroft, now appearing to be shifting his normal and grotesque forms at random. Harry talks with the Gentleman, Gustav Fiers, about forming a team of super villains equipped with Oscorp's technology with its first suggested member being Alexei Sytsevich.
- Although he assumed the role of the Goblin and transforms into the Goblin himself, He does not adopted the alias of the Goblin. In the film's climax, Harry holds Gwen in the air and she calls him in his name but Harry responds that "Harry's Dead!", thus, it proves that the monstrous side of his personality following injecting himself with the spider venom has fully controlling him.
- This is the youngest version of both Harry Osborn and the Goblin.
- Although Electro is the primary villain for the whole movie because he had bigger plans, Harry is the secondary antagonist and in the film's ending, his transformation scene, his allying with Dillon, manipulating him into join forces with him, and creating a team to kill Spider-Man in order to prove him and the city that he takes the hope from them, thus, this turns him into the true main antagonist in the second half of the movie, even though he is the secondary antagonist.
- The Green Goblin was set to be in the next Spider-Man film as the primary villain, but since that Sony Pictures and Columbia had made an agreement for featuring Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, any planned future films were cancelled.
|Webb Film Series|
|Films:||The Amazing Spider-Man | The Amazing Spider-Man 2|
|Characters:||Peter Parker/Spider-Man | Gwen Stacy | Harry Osborn | Mary Jane Watson | Uncle Ben | Aunt May | George Stacy | Flash Thompson | Norman Osborn | Ashley Kafka | Rajit Ratha | Donald Menken | Felicia Hardy | Alistair Smythe | Richard Parker | Mary Parker | Kari|
|Enemies:||The Lizard | Electro | The Green Goblin | Rhino | The Black Cat | Ultimate Goblin | Gustav Fiers | Cash Register Thief|
|Locations:||The Daily Bugle | Oscorp Industries | Oscorp Tower | Midtown Science High School | Beloit Psychiatric Hospital | Ravencroft Institute|
|Video Games:||The Amazing Spider-Man | The Amazing Spider-Man 2|