|Name:||Harold Theopolis Osborn|
|Alias(es):||The New Goblin|
Little Goblin Junior
|Portrayed by:||James Franco|
|Last appeared:||Spider-Man 3|
|Appears in:||3 Films|
Harold "Harry" Osborn is the tritagonist of the first 2002 film Spider-Man, the secondary antagonist of the 2004 sequel Spider-Man 2, and the deuteragonist/tertiary antagonist of the third 2007 film Spider-Man 3. He is a fictional character in the Marvel Comics Universe created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1965. He appeared in the Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy, where he was portrayed by James Franco.
Harry Osborn was Born on February 22, 1984 he was born to a wealthy family his mother apparently died soon after his birth.
He had flunked out of the many private schools his father had sent him to public school and wished to have his wealth and privilege downplayed to his new classmates. He constantly tries to impress his father Norman, a rich industrialist, who is very invested in his work having little time for his son
Harry grows jealous of Peter's relationship with him as Norman admired Peter's intelligence and work ethic. Harry starts a relationship with Mary Jane Watson whom he finds attractive. He is aware Peter does as well and after he finds out attempts to justify himself saying that Peter never made a move, though she eventually falls for Peter. Harry eventually manages to somewhat mend the relationship he has with his father.
Promising Revenge on Spider-Man
In 2002, After Norman's death as The Green Goblin, Harry believes that his father was murdered by Spider-Man, and seeks revenge, unaware that Spider-Man had in fact tried to save Norman's life, and went to great lengths to keep secret the billionaire's alter-ego as The Green Goblin.
Finding Out Who Spider-Man Is
Otto's experiment failed and the company loses millions as a result. Harry was saved by Spider-Man in the disaster but still continues his vendetta. Ever the more bitter, Harry lashes out on Peter, for being the 'son' Norman wanted, defending Spider-Man, and stealing Mary Jane. Later, he forms an alliance with Doctor Octopus to get his revenge, providing Octopus with a rare element, tritium, that he needs to complete his fusion reactor in exchange for Octopus capturing Spider-Man.
Doctor Octopus brings Spider-Man back to Harry, who unmasks him in preparation to kill/assassinate him. He is shocked to see that Peter is in fact Spider-Man, but nevertheless tells him where Doctor Octopus is hiding. Afterwards, he begins to hallucinate, seeing his father's image in a mirror who demands that Harry avenge his death. He refuses to do so and, after being chastised for his weakness, smashes the mirror only to find a hidden room concealed behind it. The room contained all of Norman's Green Goblin equipment and serum, which Peter had hidden when he brought his body back after his death. This discovery led Harry to realize that his father was the infamous Green Goblin.
Becoming the New Goblin
Around six months after he discovered Peter was in fact Spider-Man thanks to his capture by Doctor Octopus. Encouraged by another hallucination of his father in a mirror he attempts to take revenge, attacks Peter during a fight wearing a modified version of Norman's Green Goblin suit and jet glider. Peter tries telling Harry that he wasn't responsible for his father's death, but Harry refuses to listen. As a result of the head injury he suffered in their subsequent battle, he briefly sustains a case of immediate amnesia.
While in this state, he reverted back to how he was before his father's death. After regaining his memory, due to the efforts of his father's ghost, he attempts to destroy Peter by sabotaging his relationship with Mary Jane and then claiming that she left Peter for him, only for Peter — falling increasingly under the influence of the black suit — to viciously attack Harry in his penthouse, throwing one of his own pumpkin bombs back at him and scarring the right side of his face.
Saving Peter Parker from Venom and Sandman
Later Mary Jane is captured by Venom and Peter, free of the black suit's influence, returns and asks Harry to help him for Mary Jane's sake. Harry refuses and Peter leaves. However, after learning the truth, that his father's death was his own doing and not Peter's, from his butler Bernard, he decides to help Spider-Man save Mary Jane from Venom and The Sandman.
In the ensuing fight Harry ultimately sacrifices himself to save Peter during the ensuing fight/battle, Harry is stabbed to death by his own glider on the stomach by Venom. Harry ultimately forgives Peter for what happened to his father and the two reconcile. Harry dies after the pair's defeat with both Peter and Mary Jane by his side, not before declaring that he and Peter are best friends. Peter and Mary Jane, both heartbroken by their friend's death, attend Harry's funeral together along with Bernard the Butler, Gwen Stacy, Aunt May and Flash Thompson.
Powers and Abilities
After exposing himself to the Human-Enhancer Formula, Harry gained superhuman strength, agility, reflexes, durability, stamina, senses, as well as healing, all comparable to Spider-Man himself:
- Superhuman Strength:
- Superhuman Durability:
- Superhuman Stamina:
- Superhuman Agility: Harry was made extremely agile by the Formula, he was able able to throw Peter around, in spins and twists.
- Healing Factor:
- New Goblin Armor:
- Sky Stick: The New Goblin rides a hi-tech snowboard-shaped glider called the Sky Stick, which also goes unnamed in the film.
- Two razor-sharp spikes
- Retractable arm blades:
- Ionic Sword:
- Pumpkin bombs:
- Razor bats:
- In the Xbox 360/PS3 versions of the Spider-Man 3 game, you can play as Harry Osborn as The New Goblin in free roam if you purchase him as DLC. In the PS2/PSP/Wii versions of the game, Harry's death is less gruesome and altered in the actual game. After Spider-Man manages to put 4 Gasoline drums inside a giant Sandman, Harry is about to throw a pumpkin bomb to finish him but Venom throws him into Sandman using his webs, the bomb goes off and explodes the gasoline drums inside Sandman and Harry along with Sandman is blown to bits, killing Harry in the process.
- In the Spider-Man (2002) game, Harry Osborn is playable as the Green Goblin (Norman Osborn's original suit), making him the only Goblin to become both Goblins but the game isn't canon since Harry didn't discover his father was the Green Goblin until the end of the second movie.
- This version of Harry in the game is also voiced by Josh Keaton (Who was originally going to voice Spider-man in the game if Tobey Maguire wasn't going to voice him).
- In the first and the second film, Franco dyed his hair from dark brown to light brown. However, in the third film, he kept his natural dark brown hair. Additionally, in the first film, the scene where Harry met Aunt May at the hospital, Franco's hair wasn't dyed and is his natural hair color until the funeral scene where his hair is back to light brown.
- Along with Peter, Harry is one of two characters in the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy to survive being hit a pumpkin bomb.
- Spider-Man 3 is the only installment in which Harry and Aunt May do not interact or appear on-screen together.
|Raimi Film Series|
|Films:||Spider-Man | Spider-Man 2 | Spider-Man 3|
|Characters:||Peter Parker/Spider-Man | Mary Jane Watson | Harry Osborn | J. Jonah Jameson | Uncle Ben | Aunt May | George Stacy | Gwen Stacy | Robbie Robertson | Betty Brant | Curt Connors | Flash Thompson | Dr. Stromm | Mr. Ditkovich | Ursula Ditkovich | Maximillian Fargas | Henry Balkan | Rosalie Octavius | Hoffman | Bernard Houseman | Mr. Aziz | Bonesaw McGraw|
|Enemies:||The Green Goblin | Doctor Octopus | The Sandman | New Goblin | Venom | The Carjacker|
|Locations:||The Daily Bugle | Oscorp Technologies | Quest Aerospace | Osborn Penthouse | Goblin Lair|
|Video Games:||Spider-Man | Spider-Man 2 | Spider-Man 3|