|Name:||Peter Benjamin Parker|
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
|Affiliation:||Midtown School of Science and Technology|
|Portrayed by:||Tom Holland|
|First appeared:||Captain America: Civil War|
|Last appeared:||Avengers: Infinity War|
- "When you can do the things that I can...but you don't...and then the bad things happen, they happened because of you."
Spider-Man is a fictional character based on the comic book superhero of the same name who appears in Marvel Comics. He was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962. He made his debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the film Captain America: Civil War as a supporting protagonist.
Peter Parker is a high school student and a superhero who possesses spider-like abilities due to a spider bite and uses his superpowers to fight crime under the alter ego of Spider-Man. Despite his best efforts to keep his identity secret from the world, he was found and recruited by Tony Stark, gaining a new suit and technology in exchange.
Peter Parker forged a name for himself in New York City and became well-known as a local neighborhood hero, fighting against the Vulture, who is creating advanced weapons from stolen alien technology. After defeating Vulture, Peter discover the true responsibilities of a hero, so he decided to decline Stark's offer of membership in the Avengers in order to continue helping the little guy however he could.
When Thanos and his Black Order launched an attack on New York in search of the Time Stone, Peter helped Iron Man and Doctor Strange fend off the invaders. He and Stark stowed away aboard the Black Order's ship to rescue Strange from Ebony Maw, who he and Iron Man threw from the ship while going to the planet Titan. Peter was “knighted” as an official Avenger after this feat. There, Parker battled Thanos only for a despot to beat him into submission. Later Parker along with the rest of half of the universe were disintegrated once Thanos completed the Infinity Gauntlet.
Peter Parker is a high school student, living in Queens New York City, who has been using his enhanced agility and a device to shoot tensile webbing to fight crime, while disguised as a spider-based hero. When Peter arrived at his apartment, Tony Stark was talking to his aunt about a certain grant. Tony asks May to talk to him privately. Tony then asked him why he's doing this, Parker explains that he understands the price of not doing the right thing. Tony asked them to come to Germany, despite not wanting to go, Parker decides to go along so that his secret identity won't be told to Aunt May.
Trying to flee Berlin and reach Siberia before Zemo, Steve Rogers and his team assemble at Leipzig Halle Airport, where they hope to take a chopper out of the country. When sirens indicate the airport is being evacuated, Rogers instructs his team to suit up, and travels to a chopper alone, where he is confronted by Stark alongside his allies, including Parker who now has a new costume courtesy of Stark, and calling himself Spider-Man in front of Captain America. When Rogers refuses to back down, the Avengers get into a massive fight which destroys a large section of the airport. During the fight, the Avengers decides to buy time for Rogers and Barnes to reach the Quinjet, at the expense of imprisonment. Ant-Man uses his suit to grow gargantuan, which tips the scales and creates enough of a distraction to allow Rogers and Barnes to reach a jet. The two are confronted by Natasha Romanoff, but she can't bring herself to take them down and allows them to leave in Stark's Quinjet, while the rest of the Avengers are captured. As Stark and Rhodes chase the jet, Vision attempts to blast Falcon, who is following them, out of the sky. However, he misses and hits Rhodes, who plummets to the ground and is left paralyzed. Romanoff, knowing she will be arrested for acting against the accords, goes into hiding. Parker is injured in the fight, and the grateful Stark sends Peter back home, much to the former's dismay.
Later on, Peter discovers a red beam of light emitted from his Web-Shooters that Stark had programmed, projecting the Spider-Signal.
Months later, following the Avengers' internal dispute, Peter Parker resumes his studies after Stark tells him he is not yet ready to become an Avenger. Over the objections of his Aunt May, Peter quits his school's decathlon team in order to spend more time focusing on his "Stark Industries internship", which is a cover for his crime-fighting activities as Spider-Man.
One night, after preventing Toomes' associates from robbing an ATM, Peter returns to his room at his Queens apartment only for his best friend Ned to discover his secret identity. On another night, Peter comes across Toomes' associates Schultz and Brice selling Chitauri weaponry to local gangster Aaron Davis. When he tries to intervene, Peter nearly loses his life at Toomes' hands and is rescued by Stark. Toomes later kills Brice for jeopardizing the operation.
Peter works with Ned to remove the power core. A tracking device leads Schultz to Midtown School, but Peter and Ned manage to evade him. After planting his own tracking device on Schultz and learning that it leads to Maryland, Peter rejoins the decathlon team and accompanies them to Washington, D.C. for Nationals.
Working with Ned, Peter disables the tracker implanted in his Spider-Man suit and unlocks all its secret features. He later tries to stop Toomes from stealing weapons from a D.O.D.C. truck, but ends up being overpowered and trapped inside the truck, causing him to miss Nationals. When he discovers that the Chitauri power core is unstable, Peter tracks Ned to the Washington Monument, arriving just as the core explodes and traps Ned in an elevator. Evading local authorities, Peter manages to save Ned and fellow classmate Liz before the elevator plummets.
Returning to New York City, Peter persuades Davis to reveal Toomes' whereabouts. Confronting Toomes and his associates at the Staten Island Ferry, Peter captures the group's new buyer Mac Gargan while Toomes escapes after a malfunctioning weapon tears the ferry in half. Stark helps Peter save the passengers before admonishing him for his recklessness and taking the suit away. While picking up Liz for Midtown's annual homecoming dance, Peter learns that she is Toomes' daughter. Deducing Peter's secret identity, Toomes threatens retaliation if he continues to interfere with his plans.
During the homecoming dance, Peter realizes Toomes is planning to hijack the Stark cargo plane transporting weaponry from Avengers Tower to the team's new headquarters in upstate New York. Leaving the dance and donning his homemade Spider-Man suit, Peter is ambushed by Schultz only for Ned to save him. Peter then confronts Toomes in his lair, who attempts to persuade him to his side. When Peter refuses, Toomes destroys the building's support beams and leaves him to die.
Managing to escape, Peter intercepts Toomes on-board the now-damaged plane, steering it towards the beach near Coney Island. The two engage in a confrontation that ends with Peter saving Toomes' life and leaving him for the police.
Sometime later, Peter learns that Liz is moving away and both had to sat good bye to each other. Happy Hogan calls him over a during the decathlon tea mmeeting and told that Stark offers him a trip to the Avengers facility. Later, Stark propose to Peter a new Iron Spider suit and an invitation to join the Avengers. Peter later declines Stark's invitation to join the Avengers and inspires Stark to bring an engagement ring to a press conference where Pepper Potts is present. Upon returning home, Peter discovers that Stark has returned his upgraded suit and puts it on just as May walks into his room.
During a bus trip, Parker woke up when he sensed the appearance of an alien warship hovering over New York. Understanding the gravity of the situation, he asked Ned Leeds to create a distraction which Leeds promptly did when he warned the rest of the students about the warship. Using the distraction, Parker donned his mask and headed toward the conflict. He managed to arrive in time to assist his mentor, Iron Man, as he fought against Cull Obsidian. During the battle, one of their associates, Doctor Strange was defeated and captured by Ebony Maw and Iron Man tasked Spider-Man to rescue the sorcerer.
Despite Spider-Man's best effort to rescue Doctor Strange, he was unable to retrieve him and was subsequently pulled toward the alien warship. He nearly suffocated as the ship left Earth's atmosphere but was promptly rescued by the intervention of Iron Man who summoned the Iron Spider Suit. Despite Iron Man's orders to return home, Spider-Man remained on board and infiltrated the ship.
Spider-Man infiltrated the ship for some time. He eventually managed to locate Stark, receiving a brief scolding from his mentor and defending his actions, Stark reluctantly allowed Parker to assist him. They both managed to locate Strange as Ebony Maw tortured him to force him to give up his Infinity Stone. Parker suggested a plan to distract their opponent, using a strategy from a movie called, Aliens.
Spider-Man waited as his mentor went to distract their enemy and surprised him by blasting a hole on the side of the ship. Ebony Maw was sucked into the vacuum of space and was subsequently killed. Spider-Man narrowly managed to save Strange from the same fate through the use of his new suit's spider legs. Polite as ever, Parker introduced himself to Doctor Strange, who returned the gesture; however, Parker mistook Strange's proper title for his superhero name. Parker watched as Stark and Strange discussed and argued about how to confront their enemy Thanos. After debating, Strange reluctantly agreed to help confronting Thanos. Stark then officially made Parker a member of the Avengers, making him happy.
Tony Stark suggested him, Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man leave it to go to its destination, bringing them to a planet called Titan. Parker assisted Stark with steering and landing the ship on the planet. After crash-landing, they began to prepare themselves before they were attacked by a new group of arrivals, called the Guardians of the Galaxy. A brief scuffle happened aboard the ruined ship which ended when Spider-Man was held at gunpoint by Star-Lord and Iron Man capturing Drax the Destroyer. Eventually, both groups learned that they are both after Thanos and an uneasy alliance was formed between them.
Leaving the ruined ship, everyone stared planning on how to beat Thanos. Strange meditated with the Time Stone to find a way for them to win; despite the extreme amount of ways they lose, there was a single future in which they win. Eventually, the Mad Titan arrived on the planet which was revealed to be his former home world. A fierce battle ensued on the ruined world as Spider-Man fought alongside his allies to subdue and take off the Infinity Gauntlet to keep him from using the weapon.
The alliance nearly succeeded until Star-Lord's outrage by the reveal of the death of his lover, Gamora, at the hands of Thanos, ruined Mantis' effort to subdue the titan. This allowed Thanos to utilize his gauntlet and turn the tide back in his favor. Thanos succeeded with taking the Time Stone from Strange and teleported away from the battle to locate the final stone on Earth.
Thanos succeeded with collecting all of the Infinity Stones and unleashed the full extent of its power to exterminate half of the population of the entire universe with a mere snap of his fingers. Back on Titan, Parker watched as their allies began fading and disappearing one by one, until he realized that he himself was also beginning to fade. Terrified, Parker tearfully clutched onto his mentor as he insisted that he did not want to die. Stark stayed by him and attempted to comfort his scared protege. As Parker collapsed, he muttered a final apology to Stark for failing him before he disintegrated into nothingness, along with half the life in the universe.
Outside of his Spider-Man alter ego, Parker lives the life of a normal 15-year-old high school student. He cares deeply for his Aunt May. He is a very intelligent science enthusiast, capable of inventing and building his own web-shooters. Parker is a friendly but shy and awkward individual; he is happy to talk but often stumbles on his own words in a conversation. As opposed to Iron Man or Captain America, Parker makes it a point to keep his identity secret since if such knowledge was made public his aunt would be worried sick and he would have major trouble with the law on the grounds of vigilantism.
Parker is also highly impressionable towards figures of authority, which is likely due to his young age and inexperience. An example of this was towards Captain America, when asked about why he was fighting, Parker stated that it was because Stark had said that Rogers was in the wrong, while he had no opinion of his own on the matter. Parker was also very excited to be in a fight with other superheroes, to the point where people on both Captain America's and Iron Man's teams were asking how old he is, due to his child-like behavior during the airport battle.
Parker idolizes Iron Man and sees him as a role model, he even admires and has respect for Tony Stark, even when the latter contemplated telling Aunt May his identity which he was strongly against. Through his first official mission as Spider-Man, Parker showed a strong desire to impress the other superheroes and prove his worth, especially towards Iron Man. As Spider-Man, Parker is courageous and capable, being able to come up with clever strategies due to his scientific expertise. He frequently annoys his enemies with fast-talking humor and quipping, prompting members of both Captain America's faction.
During his fledgling career as a superhero, Peter was shown to be stressing over his jokes and trying to make a lasting impression on people. He does value life, ordering Karen to not make him kill anyone when he activated his 'advanced combat mode'. He even risked his own life to save the Vulture from an explosion and resulting fire, despite the Vulture attempting to kill him and possessing knowledge of his secret identity.
Spider-Man did almost to keep his identity a closely guarded secret. However, there were a number of individuals to whom he had either willingly revealed his identity to or whom had discovered it for themselves. Among the most prominent ones are Tony Stark, Happy Hogan, Ned Leeds, Adrian Toomes, May Parker and Stephen Strange are the only people to know Spider-Man's secret identity.
Powers and Abilities
Peter Parker gained several spider-like abilities due to the bite of a genetically-altered spider. The complex mutagenic enzymes in the spider's blood that were transferred at the time of the bite triggered numerous body-wide mutagenic changes within Parker, granting him superhuman strength, speed, toughened flesh, and a spider-sense. However, due to his inexperience, he doesn't have full control of his powers and is still discovering them, including his spider-sense. His powers include:
- Superhuman Strength: Spider-Man possesses the proportionate strength of a spider. His strength enables him to lift more than the weight of a car, even at greater speeds. He was also able to catch and support a collapsing jet bridge and break through hard glass with a few blows. Spider-Man was ultimately able to lift the considerable amount of concrete roof that Vulture had collapsed on top of him, though doing so painfully strained him. During the Black Order's arrival in New York, Peter was able to catch Cull Obsidian's hammer moments before it struck Iron Man. His strength is sufficient enough to stagger Thanos.
- Superhuman Speed: Spider-Man can move at greater speeds than an ordinary human, making him adept at dodging quick attacks.
- Superhuman Stamina: Spider-Man is able to exert himself into physical activity much longer than normal humans, without tiring.
- Superhuman Agility: Spider-Man is exceptionally agile and fast, capable of swinging around on thin webbing, flipping, and jumping very high distances without any difficulty. His bones, muscles, and joints have more elastic strength and durability, allowing him to perform gymnastic and contortionist maneuvers without damaging his bone structure. He used his agility to outmaneuver and beat any enhanced individuals attacks.
- Superhuman Equilibrium: Spider-Man's sense of balance is similar to most arachnid species, allowing him to perform complex acrobatics. He is able to adjust his position by instinct, enabling him to balance himself on a string of web, do a front flip and land on it.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Spider-Man's reaction time and coordination is significantly enhanced, having his brain respond to stimuli at an accelerated rate. Spider-Man can effectively dodge and counter incoming attacks in combat. He is also able to catch objects moving at high speeds without looking.
- Superhuman Durability: Spider-Man possesses denser bones and toughened flesh that allows him to survive great impacts. Spider-Man has endured attacks from other enhanced individuals without sustaining any lasting damage. He was also unaffected when he fell from height of several stories. Moreover, Spider-Man survived being dragged from a speeding van and enduring hits from garbage bins and stacks of bricks, as well as Vulture collapsing a considerable portion of a concrete roof on top of him, he later survives a plane crash and falls from the inside of the Washington Monument while only being incapacitated. While Spider-Man followed Ebony Maw as he chased after Doctor Strange and the Time Stone, Peter was unfazed by the various objects flung at him by Maw, even shaking off a direct collision with a road sign, resuming his pursuit. Peter was even able to withstand a blow from the tremendously strong Thanos while wearing the Iron Spider Armor.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Spider-Man's increased metabolism allows him to rapidly heal from injuries more extensively than normal humans. He was able to rapidly heal a black eye and other scars from fighting the Vulture in a matter of hours.
- Superhuman Senses: Peter describes his heightened senses as being "dialed to eleven." Due to his enhanced sense of sight, Spider-Man had to restrict this ability with shutter eye lenses, in order to not let it handicap him during combat.
- Spider-Sense: Spider-Man has a pronounced survival instinct which warns him of impending danger. This awareness functions on a subconscious level, thus alerting Spider-Man of dangers he cannot readily notice at first, including projectiles aimed at him from a blind spot. Spider-Man can sense a bench that Winter Soldier had hurled at him and Spider-Man sensed someone coming his way and, without looking, incapacitated him with a web grenade while the Staten Island Ferry was split in half. Later, he was also able to dodge Vulture's Exo-Suit at full speed, effectively maneuvering in close quarters at a high rate of speed. He was able to sense the spaceship landing in New York City, despite being miles away from the site. His senses had also warned him of his impending demise at the hands of Thanos.
- Wall-Crawling: Spider-Man is able to adhere to surfaces like a spider, enabling him to crawl on walls or ceilings with ease. This ability allows him to stick to any surface when willing himself to, as physical contact with surfaces can creates a locking connection necessary to support his body, even when he is inverted above the ground. He has also stated that he doesn't use any adhesive device to achieve this.
- Genius Intelligence: Peter is academically gifted in science, specifically in chemistry, physics, and engineering. He is smart enough to create a chemical compound that is used as webbing and constructed his working artificial web-shooters. In addition, he was a valued member of the academic decathlon team, with Liz Toomes claiming that Peter was its most intelligent member.
- Master Acrobat: Due to his superhuman physical abilities, Peter easily surpasses normal acrobats and is able to preform somersaults, flips, spins, cartwheels, etc. Hence, he was able to quickly shoot strings of webbing at the strongest points of the Staten Island Ferry together, using his web-shooters and his own enhanced agility, succeeding his active maneuvers to keep it together.
- Combatant: Using a mixture of his superhuman strength, speed, agility, reflexes, equilibrium, spider-sense, and web-shooters, Peter is able to utilize a devastating acrobatic fighting style that makes him a formidable opponent.
- Multilingualism: Peter speaks his native English and Spanish, thanks to studying in school with success. As well as some Italian, when he talked to a store owner at a Bodega.
- Web-Shooters: Spider-Man created mechanical web-shooters that attach to his wrists and utilize them in various ways, such as using them to immobilize or ensnare his enemies and web swinging. His new pair of web-shooters is supplied with technological improvements and a few new features The upgraded web-shooters also comes with selective web types and a laser targeting system for accuracy.
- Spider-Man Suit: Spider-Man owns two suits, the first suit was made by Peter himself which contains his homemade web-shooters and black goggles, while his second suit is designed by Tony Stark to help focus his powers.
- Benjamin Parker † - Uncle
- May Parker - Aunt
- Tony Stark/Iron Man - Idol, Mentor, and Teammate
- Happy Hogan - Ally
- Ned Leeds - Best Friend and Classmate
- Liz Toomes - Former Love Interest and Classmate
- Betty Brant - Classmate
- Michelle Jones - Classmate
- Flash Thompson - Rival
- Adrian Toomes/The Vulture - Enemy
- Herman Shultz/The Shocker #2 - Enemy
- Jackson Brice/The Shocker #1 † - Enemy
- Phineas Mason/The Tinkerer - Enemy
- Aaron Davis - Situational Ally
- Mac Gargan/Scorpion - Enemy
- Doctor Strange † - Rescuee turned Ally
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Star-Lord † - Temporary Enemy turned Ally
- Drax the Destroyer † - Temporary Enemy turned Ally
- Mantis † - Temporary Enemy turned Ally
- Thanos - Enemy and Killer
- Black Order
- Cull Obsidian † - Enemy
- Ebony Maw † - Enemy
|Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|Films:||Captain America: Civil War | Spider-Man: Homecoming | Avengers: Infinity War | Spider-Man: Far From Home|
|Characters:||Spider-Man | Captain America | Iron Man | Winter Soldier | Falcon | Happy Hogan | Pepper Potts | Aunt May | Ned Leeds | Liz Toomes | Flash Thompson | Aaron Davis | Michelle Jones|
|Enemies:||Vulture | Shocker | Jackson Brice | Tinkerer|
|Locations:||Avengers Facility | Avengers Tower | Midtown School of Science and Technology|